Month: July 2014

As parents, we put our children first in our lives. We strive to make our children happy, broaden their opportunities, and lay the foundations for their future happiness and success. Sometimes, our quest to secure our children’s future means taking a better job in a distant locale or moving to a new city or town with a new spouse. Whatever the reason, when a separated parent decides to relocate with his or her children, a Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas may end up deciding whether or not that relocation occurs.

The law of child custody relocation is found in Chapter 23 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, section 5337. ( 23 Pa.C.S. § 5337). Among the principles underlying child custody relocation law is the belief that children should not be moved from place to place (except for a very good reason) and that a move should not have a detrimental impact on the children. The relocation statute establishes, in detail, everything a parent must do before a court will permit a relocation to occur.

In future posts, I will more fully explain just what the law requires from a parent who wishes to relocate with his children. Right now, though, if you have questions about how you can relocate with your children or about how to stop the other parent from moving your children to another city, county, state, or country feel free to contact me at the Law Office of Sean Potter, PC by calling 717-582-0400. I handle family law matters in central Pennsylvania and am happy to offer free consultations. My Perry County office is convenient to Cumberland, Dauphin, Juniata, Franklin, York, Snyder, and surrounding counties.

Sean Potter
Attorney and Counselor at Law
15 East Main St.
P.O. Box 121
New Bloomfield, PA 17068